Sunday, September 17, 2017

Dugatto Thanks Derby Voters

(The following is a letter to Derby citizens from Mayor Anita Dugatto)

 Derby is Stronger Together


DERBY - Thank you to all the voters who took time out of their busy lives on September 12 to vote in Derby’s Democratic Primary for Mayor.  
 
I am honored and humbled to have received the Democratic nomination for Mayor of Derby with my victory on September 12.  I couldn’t have done it without the support and confidence of countless volunteers and community members. I am deeply grateful for their efforts.
 
Turnout was strong.  I think this was due, in large part, to the interest our residents have in the
success of our city.  Over the past four years, we have worked hard to engage our citizens, to let them know they truly have a voice in their community and that their opinions matter. September 12 was a demonstration that our message was heard loud and clear.
 
When I was a child, my father worked at Derby’s Hull Dye and my mother stayed at home caring for me and my seven siblings while trying to make ends meet.  My parents, my neighbors, and many others showed me at a young age what a hard day of work looks like.  While the livelihoods of Derby’s residents may have changed over the years, one thing hasn’t - their strong work ethic. I believe in this city because I know that, if given the opportunity, each and every Derby resident has the drive and ability to succeed. That is why it’s so important to ensure that we are providing opportunities in our community for our residents to thrive.
 
Rather than looking for differences in each other - whether it be our ancestry, our political affiliation, or our income - we need to unite as people who are proud to call Derby home and who are working together to move us forward.
 
As the primary campaign season progressed, one thing became more and more apparent to me:  Mr. DiCenso and I are more alike than we are different.  We share the same level of passion for the community we grew up in - our knowledge of the challenges and our ideas for the solutions are, in fact, quite complimentary.  This shared perspective is an inherent strength.
 
Tremendous progress is being made in Derby.  When I look around our city, I see more businesses opening here, I see better parks, better roads, and better schools. These accomplishments were the result of dedication, collaboration, and a shared interest in the common good by members of Derby’s diverse community.  That diversity is important to ensure all citizens are represented.  
I humbly ask for your support again on November 7. Together we control the progress of Derby.  We will show that a shared vision for our community will prevail. 
 

No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...