Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Anyone for a screening?


 

DERBY - I had my first colonoscopy Monday. I don't know why it took me so long to undergo the procedure.
I take that back, maybe I do know: Fear and anxiety.


As friends and medical professionals alike had told me over the years, it's a piece of cake - once you get to the hospital, that is.
In my case, as you can see, it was Griffin.

The prep is not easy. I'm not sure which part I liked less - the not being able to eat or the taste of the stuff you have to drink to get "cleansed," shall we say.


But I don't want to scare anyone away from having it done. It's worth a day of just having chicken broth and lemon ice to eat.

As part of my own prep Sunday I watched video of the procedure as it was played out on live TV a few years back.

That's when TV newsman Harry Smith underwent a colonoscopy while the cameras rolled.

He was accompanied in the room by Katie Couric, long an advocate for regular colon screenings. Her husband, Jay Monahan, died of colon cancer in 1998.

Also on Sunday I read a great column by humor writer Dave Barry who said he had put off the screening for quite a few years after hitting the half-century mark.

I'd love to share a quote or two here, they're quite hilarious, but that would be violating copyright laws. But I can urge you to look it up for a good laugh.


So the message today is if you're over 50 (or golden as I like to think of it) don't hesitate about getting checked.

As Debbie, the wonderful nurse who took care of me, said when she found out it was my first screening: "You're in for a treat."


I want to thank her, and Tammy, and Barbara and everyone in the Digestive Disorders Center who made the experience as easy as possible.
Sorry to say I can't remember all their names. I was a bit out of it from the dehydration.


And as you can see from the photo, they even give you a sticker when you're ready to leave.






No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...