Blogs > View from the Valley

A great resource for information in "The Valley" - Connecticut's Naugatuck Valley

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Fireworks show slated in Ansonia

After Sept. 19 football game against Derby

   Fireworks a go in Ansonia.

Posted: |
 
ANSONIA >> The show will go on.
A spectacular fireworks show that is.
Following the fizzled-out fireworks show that flopped during last month’s Summerfest show, Mayor David Cassetti has promised residents a “real” fireworks display will light up the night sky next month.

A dazzling fireworks show is promised to follow the Ansonia-Derby High school football game on Sept. 19 at Nolan Field on Wakelee Avenue, to make up for the one that bombed out.
“Did anyone see the fireworks?” Cassetti joked during this week’s Board of Aldermen meeting. “What fireworks? Our residents deserve better than that.”

A flare show, not a big, booming fireworks display as expected, capped a day-long worth of activities July 19 as the city celebrated its 125th anniversary during Summerfest.
As the sky grew dark, more than 1,700 people gathered on Nolan Field, in hopes of watching colorful fireworks, followed by big booms, ignite the night. But the crowd left disappointed, having only witnessed flares that were shot less than 150 ft. in the air, with basically no booms or sound to accompany them.
Stephen Pelkey, the CEO of Atlas Advanced Pyrotechnics, Inc., the New Hampshire company the city hired, acknowledged the less than stellar fireworks show was nothing near the caliber of what the company normally provides. He said the display was designed to be fired from three locations on the field, but when the technician arrived, he felt the area was “too restrictive” for the types of devices that were planned.

Pelkey said the company’s licensed pyro-technicians are urged “not to fire and err on the side of caution” if a question of safety comes into play.
The city and Atlas since worked out on agreement. Corporation Counsel John Marini said the Summerfest show “was 100 percent refunded.” He said the $2,500 deposit the city put down on the Summerfest fireworks will be applied to the Sept. 19 show, which officials said is valued at $10,000.

Many residents took to social media to express their displeasure with the Summerfest fireworks, many calling them the “worst ever.” But the day itself, complete with a 19th century, vintage baseball game, local cuisine, memorabilia from Ansonia’s history and live music proved to be a huge success, Cassetti said, but ended with less of a bang than anticipated.
“I am pleased to announce that real fireworks will return to Ansonia on the evening of Friday Sept. 19 to cap off the Ansonia-Derby football game,” Cassetti said. “The residents of Ansonia deserve a good show…and they’ll get one.”

Have questions, feedback or ideas about our news coverage? Connect directly with the editors of the New Haven Register at AskTheRegister.com.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home