Friday, July 19, 2013

Ice cream, downtown Shelton style


French Mud ice cream in a chocolate-dipped cone and a strawberry sundae ~ this was our Thursday afternoon treat.



SHELTON - There are many reasons why it has taken me this long to launch another series of ice cream blog posts, but no need to go into them here.
On Thursday daughter Allegra and I "braved the heat" in search of a frozen treat and made our way to Dave & Dave's Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor, 507 Howe Ave.

The shop, filled with old black and white photos of the Valley and memorabilia from a simpler time, is owned by David Grant, owner of David M. Grant Caterers, and his son, also named David Grant.

I have written about the new parlor before, when it opened in April and when the Grants held their  grand opening in June.

So I was familiar with the French style Buck's ice cream they serve. Did someone say high calorie? Whoops.
 
The friendly server gave me a sample of Praline ice cream. It was delightful. 
I almost chose that for my cone but opted for something involving plenty of chocolate: French mud ice cream.
The shop features seating for about 20 inside, as well as several tables on the sidewalk.
A CD playing classic Motown hits was just the thing to get my mind off of the oppressive heat.  

My daughter took the above photo with her phone, and for some reason it looks like I have a severe sunburn. Thankfully I don't.
I've been trying to hide from the sun as best as I can. Summer is not my favorite season. I guess that's why I started the Ice Cream 101 series last year.

And I've yet to try the gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches available at Dave & Dave's, but that's on my list for another time.  

Please stay tuned for the next ice cream installment. 

Stay cool. 








No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...