Sunday, October 20, 2013

Salon in Seymour raises funds for Seymour Pink

Donna Alberti of Oxford volunteers at the snack station Saturday outside of EnV Hair Lounge in the Oxmour Plaza in Seymour.

SEYMOUR - On Saturday daughter Allegra and I went to EnV Hair Lounge &Wig Center to get haircuts.
The business was holding its second annual Cut-A-Thon and all proceeds benefited Seymour Pink, Inc.
The grassroots initiative - a community's fight against breast cancer - raises funds as well as awareness for the disease.

According to Seymour Pink's Facebook page the event raised more than $4,100.

Kudos to all the friendly employees and volunteers on a successful day.

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

As a breast cancer survivor it was a special occasion for me, because I hadn't wanted to get my tresses trimmed since my hair grew back last year.
I was so happy to have my hair back! Chemotherapy treatments took it away, but it returned with a vengeance.

I was happy to bump into Donna Alberti (pictured above). She is fellow member of Circle of Friends, Griffin Hospital's breast cancer support group. Donna was busy serving popcorn, baked goods, cider, and coffee to all who attended.

The event in Oxmour Plaza also included several vendors, a dunk tank, health information booths and a mammogram screening bus. Allegra and I were on a tight schedule and didn't have time to stroll around.

We already plan to return next year.



No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...