Blogs > View from the Valley

A great resource for information in "The Valley" - Connecticut's Naugatuck Valley

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Shelton man found in Howe Avenue fire identified

SHELTON >> The man who was found during a fire in the first-floor apartment of 593 Howe Ave. Wednesday night has died, according to fire officials.

Fire Marshal Jim Tortora said that Michael Boroski, 52, died Thursday morning after being taken to the Bridgeport Hospital burn unit, following his removal from the burning building Wednesday evening.
Tortora said he is uncertain of the cause of death but Boroski was the only occupant in the first-floor apartment where the first started in the living room.

Firefighters had responded to the scene just after 5 p.m. Wednesday and found flames coming out the rear window of the first floor unit.

Tortora said a firefighter who happened to be near the address at the time helped the three occupants of the second-floor apartment escape safely before firefighters arrived, and the occupant of the basement apartment was not home at the time.

When firefighters entered the home, they found Boroski semi-conscious on the floor of the apartment. He was immediately taken to a waiting ambulance outside. The fire was under control within 20 minutes.

Tortora said the state Fire Marshal and the Shelton Police Department had been called in to help investigate, and they were on the scene until around 12:30 a.m. Thursday. Fire officials believe the cause of the fire was reckless use of smoking materials.

Tortora said all the occupants of the residence are staying with family or friends.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home