Saturday, August 11, 2012

Ice cream social in the Valley? I'm there

Some of you may have seen my Ice Cream 101 posts in recent weeks that I've been writing just for fun. This is another in a series.


On Thursday I attended an ice cream social with members of our Circle of Friends breast cancer support group at Griffin Hospital in Derby.

Our support group treated several Ansonia Girl Scout Troop 60500 and their leaders to an ice cream social to thank them for their support of our group and of breast cancer awareness in general.
Only five of the 12 Scouts in the Troop were able to attend along with their three leaders.

My daughter and I took part in the ice cream fun. At least we had fresh strawberries and blueberries to make the sundaes slightly nutritious. 
 
There were chocolate chip cookies and brownies as well. Yum.

I commend the Girl Scouts and their leaders on their caring and compassion. 
At right is one of the hundreds of ornaments they made last year to honor breast cancer survivors.

Those who were able to join us for ice cream were: Rebecca Cafaro, 12, Allie Ricci, 13, Jessica Palmer, 12, Kaitlyn Sarandrea, 13, and Shelley Hopkins, 13. All five are going into eighth grade.

Leaders Carole Cafaro, Heather Ricci and Carol Palmer were there as well. Cafaro said many of the girls have been together in the same Troop since they were in kindergarten, which is quite a feat. 

I'd like to thank you all again, and thanks to the other members of Troop 60500. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...