Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Derby educator files first post from Kenya

May 29, 2012

By Lois Knapton
Director, Special Education
Derby Public Schools

Knapton
OK, so I feel like I am trying to make chocolate chip cookies by starting with grinding the flour.

I have been in Nairobi for four days, two at work. 
Talk about a culture shock….not to mention the large monkey running along the stonewall outside the house.
I am so glad I do not have to cook or clean, but that means I eat what is offered. Breakfast was bread, peanut butter, (but nothing like peanut butter from America), bananas, hot milk, and ground meal.
Lunch was kale, ugali (a mix between rice and mashed potatoes, but very thick) and mystery meat stew with potatoes. Dinner was ugali, kale, rice, and fish.

Thankfully, I am rationing my chocolate!
So back to the chocolate chip cookies: I am working with a social worker over here trying to develop a sustainable system of referral and assessment for students with special needs.

With no laws to guide the process, I am pulling from American federal laws, IDEA, and my background in special education, to shape this Kenyan system.
Let’s see what day three brings!

Note: Knapton left Friday for a three-month mission to Kenya, where she will be working at a private school to help develop a system to assess special needs students. She plans to contribute updates about her experiences on a regular basis.


2 comments:

masnoh wilson said...

Looking forward to more news from Kenya...have fun.:)

masnoh wilson said...

Looking forward to more post Lois. Have fun...:)

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...