Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Poetry reading at Derby gallery draws small but supportive crowd

Jen Mandeville of Seymour reads a poem. Patricia Villers/Register
 
On Saturday my husband and I attended a poetry reading at the Valley Arts Council's Gallery@37 in downtown Derby. It was a success; audience members were supportive of all those who read. I'd venture to say it was the first of what will undoubtedly be a series of readings open to poets and writers of all ages.

I applaud those brave souls who shared their work.

I happened to be at the impromptu planning session for the gallery's first poetry reading back on April 20. I was there to take a photo of two of the arts council members, President Rich DiCarlo and gallery administrator BillieJo Scharfenberg, sitting in the near-darkness. The gallery's electricity had been turned off because the non-profit organization couldn't afford to pay the bill. The story appeared in the paper, and the power returned a few days later. I'm happy to report that the arts council received some generous donations from the community to boost its coffers.

Saturday's poetry reading featured Seymour High School senior Jen Mandeville. She had read some of her heart-wrenching poetry to a few of us gathered there that April Friday. That's when the idea for the poetry reading was conceived.

Jen is a talented young woman. She writes from the heart and listeners can feel her pain through her words.


I admire anyone who can not only pen a poem, but who can also get up in front of a group and read it aloud.  
Kudos to all those who did just that Saturday night. I'm looking forward to the next poetry reading, and I'll be sure to give people plenty of notice about when it's scheduled. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...