Saturday, November 24, 2012

Osborne Homestead always delights

Historic house in Derby decorated for holidays


DERBY - I visited the Osborne Homestead Museum yesterday on the first day of its holiday tour schedule. 
I was the first visitor, without even trying. I always enjoy visiting the house each November to marvel at the creativity of members of area garden clubs who decorate it.

This year's theme is "Holiday in Bloom."
  
Newly named curator Susan Robinson offered lots of information about legends connected to a variety of plants and herbs as she showed me around the house.




A tinsel tree! Remember those? 
 

These lit ceramic trees displayed on the grand piano in the living room caught my eye.
The sign says, "Have you ever made one of these?" 

Coincidentally a woman I met as I was leaving, Cindy Joy of Oxford, told me her husband makes and sells ceramic trees. She said he also sells kits to those who would rather create one themselves.

 

The fireplace and mantel in the living room create a feeling of warmth as well as elegance.   

 

 The Oxford Garden Club decorated the library. This is the fireplace in the library. 
  
 

Ivy was the theme the Pomperaug Valley Garden Club used to adorn the formal dining room. Robinson told me ivy is a tenacious plant, and it "symbolizes youth and exuberance."

 I didn't have my camera with me, but I was able to take a few snapshots off of a video, and I hope I've given you the idea of the classic beauty of this 19th-century home. 

 

Do opposites attract? Santa and the Grinch seem to get along together in a corner of the library.


   
Holiday tours are from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday though Sunday until Dec. 16. Holiday Twilight tours are from 4-6:30 p.m. Friday as well as Dec. 7 and 14.
Admission is free, but donations are gratefully accepted.
For information, call 203-734-2513.

No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...