Thursday, November 8, 2012

Seymour raising awareness of diabetes

Red will be the color of the day 

SEYMOUR - On Friday the town of Seymour will be celebrating its first Seymour Red Day, officials announced today.
The event is thanks to the Liedkes, a local family who initiated this day as a way of raising diabetes awareness in the community.

The family's efforts will help raise money to support the American Diabetes Association and its mission: to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.

Andrea Dunnam, manager, fundraising and special events for the American Diabetes Association, said, “It brings me great joy to see a family so passionate about making a difference in their community. I’m so appreciative to them, First Selectman W. Kurt Miller, and to the entire town of Seymour for supporting such a worthy cause.”

The Liedke family is involved in promoting diabetes awareness and raising funds because their son, Jacob, was diagnosed with the disease. Below is what he wrote about Seymour Red Day.


"My name is Jacob Liedke.  I am an eighth grader at Seymour Middle School.  Over the past several months, I helped to establish, with the help of the American Diabetes Association, the first-ever Seymour Red Day to be held on Friday, November 9, 2012.  
"Seymour Red Day is designed to help promote diabetes awareness and assist in raising funds for critical diabetes research, education, and advocacy efforts that support approximately 26 million children and adults in the U.S. living with diabetes.

"Just over three years ago, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, which means I am insulin-dependent.  My mother also has Type 1 Diabetes. This cause is very important to me because it affects many people in my family and several friends.  I would like to help make a difference and, so that hopefully someday a cure may be found. Seymour Red Day can help us do that.

"There are several events and activities planned for Seymour Red Day. There will be a proclamation at Town Hall, a Red Day Walkathon from Town Hall to Hot Tamale Mexican Bar & Grill, a reception afterwards at Hot Tamale and an ‘80s party for adults that evening at Hot Tamale (with various raffles to be held to help raise money). 
"In addition to these events, my family and I have also encouraged friends and family to wear red for the day to help spread the word.

"I am asking several local businesses in town – as well as the town schools – if they would help the cause by encouraging their employees to wear red and donate if possible on Friday, November 9, 2012.  Seeing a lot of red across town and at all the schools on Friday, November 9 would definitely help in raising the awareness.

"I am doing all of this because I want to see a cure for the millions of people affected across the country and in our town, including my mother and me.  I believe that I can help to make that happen.  But I believe it starts with the help of those in my community."


This information was provided by Christine Conroy, Administrative Assistant to Seymour First Selectman Kurt Miller.

No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...