Monday, June 18, 2012

Derby educator reports from her mission in Kenya

Learning to embrace a simpler lifestyle


So, what is life really like in Africa?

OK. Well, I am fully integrated now.
Just imagine, getting up in the morning and hearing Swahili spoken by everyone around you.

There is just an occasional word or two spoken in English.

Breakfast is on the table, usually bread of some sort, warm milk and wheat bars, chai, and juice.

I have long forgotten about my morning iced tea from Dunkin' Donuts or McDonald's....hop in the minivan for a bumpy, windy drive to work.
I never know who will be riding with me, but it is someone different everyday,  as this house is a boarding house for all sorts of missionaries, doing all sorts of  short term work.
Mattastus are the main public transport, and after I arrive at work, I hop on one of those and head to one of the 14 schools, with two of the social workers; that is an experience all to itself.

So far no cooking, no cleaning, and no driving; pretty good!
Work is challenging because I am trying to develop a sustainable infrastructure for referring and assessing students with special needs...but I have needs too, like toileting..let's talk....the kids have their own toilet, faculty has one and then there is the luxury home toilet.
The student toilet




The shower head doubles as an individual hot water heater. They really are quite inventive and creative when it comes to comfort. 
On the way to work, there are people walking everywhere, and constant construction.
Power tools are a luxury, so everything is done by manual labor, using rocks and sand and hand churned cement in five-gallon buckets.

The faculty and most homes have toilets like this.

 
I'm so happy this is my bathroom.

You would be amazed what you can do without.

Speaking of doing without, all the laundry is done by hand and cotton takes two to three days to dry, so I have to plan ahead about my clothing. Who knew?

So, all day people are still only talking in Swahili, most of the time I have no idea what they are saying.
Words are over-rated. TV shows are full of dubbed soap operas or news channels.
I miss my music and my hugs. This is a culture where everyone is greeted with a hand shake and an occasional cheek to cheek touch if you know the person well.

There are absolutely no signs of physical affection anywhere in public or the home.
There is no "fluffiness" here, no coddling, no cuddling, no hugging...they are hard-working, no nonsense people and very soft spoken.
I have yet to hear anyone raise their voice.
Just imagine....even I am noticing how loud Americans are, when they come to visit.
Don't get me wrong, this is culture full of joy and unwavering faith and enduring love for the Lord.
We do laugh a lot.

I am learning so much from their simpleness.
They are just fine the way they are, and it kind of grows on you: hard work, quiet, laid back, no worries, fun, laughing, and lots of chai and waiting. No expectations.

What could be better?


Lois Knapton, Director of Special Education for Derby Public Schools, is spending three months on a mission working with students and parents in Kenya. This is her weekly report.  

No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...