Saturday, May 10, 2014

In memory of a Hamden resident who left us way too soon

 
MARA LAVITT — NEW HAVEN REGISTER Former New Haven Register reporter Michael Bellmore working in the newsroom during Superstorm Sandy in 2012. The dog with him, Nike, belonged to former Register reporter Jordan Fenster, who had no power at his home and brought the dog in with him to work so the dog would be safe.


A friendly young man who had worked as a reporter at the New Haven Register passed away last Saturday.

Michael Bellmore, a Hamden resident, was just 27.

Reporter Michelle Tuccitto Sullo penned a beautiful tribute to Mike. It appeared in Thursday's paper.
I overheard several people at his wake Thursday commenting on how well written it was, and I agree.

Although I barely knew Mike I wanted to share this sweet memory of him:


I met Mike last June at a training session for editorial employees.


Before the session started a friendly co-worker brought me a cup of tea. I work out of my home and she realized that I didn’t know where to get a hot beverage.


After the tea steeped I had a tea bag to discard and didn’t know where to put it. 


Mike, who was sitting in front of me, noticed my situation. He got up and put out his hand for me to put the tea bag on his outstretched palm.

I was startled. I certainly didn’t want to put a wet tea bag on his hand.

But he insisted I give it to him and he’d get rid of it for me, which he did.


I was truly taken aback by Mike's friendliness since we had not met before. I'll never forget it.




My condolences go out to his family and friends at this sad time. 



His family has asked that contributions in his memory be made to SCSU, MFA Fund/Poetry and Creative Writing, 501 Crescent St., New Haven, CT 06515, or at http://www.southernct.edu/giving.



No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...