Friday, October 19, 2012

Candidate seeks to return to Hartford

By Theresa Conroy
Candidate, 105th District

As I walk around our communities and talk to concerned voters, the concerns are the same as back when I was a State Representative in 2009 – the economy and jobs are foremost in their minds and for good reason – recovery and improvement has been slow-going at best.

My time spent at the State Capitol in 2009-2011 was very rewarding. I was able to work with colleagues on job creating legislation and measures that brought resources from Hartford to our towns.
Some of the work that I did was to pass a major incentive program for new businesses, authorizing loans and lines of credit for small businesses and financial and technical assistance for established businesses.
My colleagues and I directed the community colleges to develop training programs for students so they would be job-ready at graduation.  Investments were made in businesses venturing into green-energy technologies and we put measures in place to study ways to boost government efficiency and decrease or eliminate waste.

It was an honor to serve in the legislature.  As a fourth generation resident of Seymour, what affects residents affects me personally. That is why I fought hard to bring resources back to the towns in the district and I am eager and committed to continuing that fight. I believe it is a privilege to be able to be a voice in Hartford for the often neglected small towns in the state.

As your state representative, I worked to accomplish road and municipal facility improvements for Seymour, Beacon Falls and Ansonia.
A major bridge project in Beacon Falls was kept alive through hard work on a difficult state budget in 2009.
I was also very proud of legislation that I introduced creating the River Falls Improvement District (RFID) in the Town of Seymour which could issue bonds for environmental remediation costs.  The RFID combined the empty Seymour Lumber Company on Route 67 and the empty Housatonic property on River Street – this was a jobs creating and economic spurring measure I was very pleased to be a part of in Hartford.

I currently serve Seymour as a member of the Board of Selectmen. I voted in favor of a tax incentives package to preserve and create jobs. Because of these incentives the roof rack company, Thule, will be creating 30 jobs and investing in their facility – putting money back into the tax base to offset property taxes.
Improving the economy and growing jobs is a process that needs the skills that I have to help make it happen.  A faltering economy contributes to many social problems – lack of jobs, crumbling infrastructure, the loss of homes and increases in crimes and domestic violence are just some of the symptoms.


Increasing domestic violence was of such concern when I was a State Representative, the Speaker of the House created a 16-member bi-partisan task force on domestic violence on which I was asked to serve.
I am proud to say that as I work in any representative capacity, I do not sit idly by and I do not relax after elections - I join in and take an active role in as many issue areas as I am able. I did not sit idle in my short time at the General Assembly in Hartford and will not take it easy if given the opportunity to return.


No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...