Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Girl Scouts touch my heart

 On getting a group hug from Troop 60500 


Last Thursday night I attended a monthly meeting of ‘Circle of Friends,” a breast cancer support group that meets at the Center for Cancer Care at Griffin Hospital in Derby.

I’ve never been part of a support group before, but after getting diagnosed with breast cancer 14 months ago I was urged by several health care professionals to give it a try. I joined, and I’m glad that I did.

Last week one of our group facilitators, Joyce Grohe of Seymour, distributed goody bags filled with toiletries, treats, letters, and handmade “Bottles of Hope,” all from Ansonia Girl Scout Troop 60500. We all got a box of Girl Scout cookies as well!
I got a note decorated with breast cancer logos and a smiling sun signed with love from a Troop member named Allie. She said she hoped I enjoyed the cookies. (I did.)

According to a card included with each Bottle of Hope, the tiny glass object “symbolizes a wish and a hope for health.The project was started in 1999 by a Rhode Island cancer survivor.”

A few months ago the same Troop had given our group hand-made felt ornaments featuring a pink breast cancer logo attached to a white cross. They had used them to decorate a Christmas tree at the Hewitt Center for Breast Wellness at Griffin Hospital.

All the gifts were unexpected and simply wonderful. I could feel the thoughtfulness that went into their creation.

My letter was written by Danica Graham of Ansonia. Her words made me teary-eyed.

She wrote in part: “I think making Bottles of Hope is a good thing. That’s why I love to make them for others...Today was a fun day because we got to learn how to use the clay, almost professionally, to make a little bottle that’s called ‘Bottles of Hope.’

“...this one bottle will most likely change a person in need of hope’s life...Today when my Girl Scout Troop (60500) was trying their hardest to do their best, I think it means something.

"So I hope these decorated, beautiful, awesome bottles will change their new owner’s life.”

Wow. See why it brought tears to my eyes?

I offer a big thank you to all of the members of Troop 60500 and the adults who guide them. And I wish them all the best.   


No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...