Thursday, February 28, 2013

Project spans variety of disciplines

Students' imaginations soar at Derby school

Science is not my strong suit - and I am a simpleton when it comes to math.

I can add, subtract, multiply, but ... whatever else I learned way back when has gotten hazy.

That said, I got a bit concerned when I entered a classroom last week to cover an enrichment class at St. Mary-St. Michael School in Derby.

I figured most of what the 40 students - in Grades 6, 7, and 8 - were working on would go right over my head. Literally.
Their assignment was to "build a bridge to the moon."
 
Sixth grader Cristina Carloni of Derby shows her group's plan outline.
 
I was amazed at the creativity of their initial project plans, since it was only the second class of the session. And I understood what the students were explaining to me. It was great to see them using their imaginations.    

The students are also learning teamwork through the project. They are split into groups of three or four.

Marc Weissman, a teaching consultant, is working with them on a STEM project.
STEM is a nationwide educational initiative to inspire students  to enjoy learning about the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

One group's design for building a 'bridge to the moon.' 
The project involves using art skills, as well as science and math knowledge.

Weissman said since snow cancelled school students missed two sessions, so the program will go on a bit longer than he had planned.

I hope to get a chance to return to see the students' finished projects.

No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...