Thursday, February 14, 2013

Seymour superintendent speaks to parents

From Kurt Miller's Facebook page:

Message from the Superintendent: 
Dear Parents,

Over the past several days many of you have shared suggestions on how to manage this unprecedented situation we are experiencing with school closings. As you can imagine not all the suggestions were the same and therefore any decision that the Board of Education makes would be welcomed by some and unwelcomed by others. I wish that I knew of a way to make everyone happy and I genuinely appreciated all your suggestions.

At a special meeting of the Board of Education this evening [Wednesday] the BOE changed the 2012-2013 school calendar. The change to the calendar eliminated the winter break and therefore our schools will be open on Monday and Tuesday, February 18 and 19.
With the addition of those two days that means the last day of school is currently June 27. I would love to tell you that there will be no more closings this school year however it is too soon to state that.

If as a family you had plans scheduled for Monday and Tuesday I would suggest that you not alter those plans. Time with family is important, family adventures are opportunities for learning and are an important element of our children’s lives. If your child is not able to attend school due to something that you already had planned I want to assure you that your son/daughter’s teacher will be accommodating. Your child will not be penalized. I ask that you just notify the school in the manner that you typically would that your child is not able to attend school.

State statute does permit schools to open on legal holidays with the exception of legal holidays in the months of December and January. I know some people thought that we would violate a law if we had school on Monday so I wanted to clarify.

I will contact you again tomorrow with an update for Friday and I will provide you with some additional information.

I want to thank all of you for your continued support.

Thank you,

Christine

No comments:

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...