Monday, September 24, 2012

Johnny Depp impresses this Valley reporter

By Jean Falbo-Sosnovich

Let me preface this by saying I am Johnny Depp's #1 fan.
Whether he’s sporting scissors for hands, gold teeth and a sword or chasing Alice down the rabbit hole, I just love everything about this kooky actor. So when I had the opportunity to see him in person on Friday, I jumped at the chance.
Depp is at left in photo.
My husband Mike and I boarded the train for New York City and headed to Union Square. Johnny, as I like to call him, was making an appearance at Barnes and Noble’s flagship store. 
No, he didn’t write a book or anything, he was there to support his friend, Damien Echols. Some of you may know the name. Echols was part of the notorious West Memphis 3, and was one of three then- teenage boys charged with the murder of three 8 –year old boys from Arkansas back in 1993.
Echols was sentenced to death row, and spent nearly 20 years behind bars. The trio was actually freed from prison last year. New evidence was introduced, and DNA testing proved that none of the men was responsible for the heinous crimes.
The compelling story was the subject of countless news stories, as well as three documentaries on HBO, which I have watched many times. A fourth documentary by Peter Jackson of “Lord of the Rings” fame is due out in December.
Now you may ask how does Johnny Depp figure into all this? Well, he along with a host of other celebrities, including Pearl Jam front man Eddie Vedder, and Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, closely followed the case, convinced the men were wrongly accused. Depp took a particular interest in Echols, as both hail from the South, and both were viewed as “different” types of characters growing up. Echols was partly targeted by police simply because he wore black clothes and liked listening to heavy metal bands, like Metallica.
Echols said if not for those fighting for his freedom outside his prison walls he wouldn’t be around today to tell his story in his newly released book, “Life After Death.”
I was planning on buying the book anyway, so when I found out Johnny was coming to Barnes and Noble to “have a conversation” with Echols, what better way for me to see my all-time favorite celebrity crush.
The event was scheduled for 7 p.m., so when we arrived in NYC around 3 p.m., my husband and I figured we had time to take in some sights and maybe visit the 9/11 memorial. I told him we ought to go to the bookstore first to see if they were handing out wristbands to secure a seat for the event. They weren’t. You had to purchase a copy of Echols’ book, and your receipt served as your golden ticket in. I eagerly slapped down $20 for the book, but my husband was less than thrilled that he, too, had to buy a book just so I could catch a glimpse of J.D.  
I must tell you, my husband loathes the idea of celebrity worshipping and can’t understand why people are infatuated with them, present company included. But he’s a great sport and instead of enjoying a beautiful fall day in NYC, he sat alongside me, packed like 200 sardines on folding chairs, as we waited for three hours for Johnny and Echols to arrive.
Security was tight, and you were allowed to leave your seat to visit the café on the floor below, use the bathroom or stretch your legs, but if you didn’t return to your exact seat, you would’ve gotten the boot.
Most in attendance killed the time by reading, texting or making friends with the people they were smashed up against. The NYU student next to me actually said she makes a habit of attending these types of events. She waited for 24 hours for the star-studded premiere of Batman, The Dark Knight, just to catch a glimpse of Christian Bale.
I do get pretty star struck myself, so when Johnny sashayed into the bookstore, my heart skipped a beat. Sporting a brown floppy hat, flanked by feathers, and wearing a long leather coat, and his trademark purple-tinted glasses, Johnny did not disappoint. 
And once I was done ogling him from my seat 12 rows back from the stage upon which he and Echols sat, I attentively listened to the hour-long conversation between the two friends.
It was clear that Johnny, who’s famous for shunning the whole celebrity thing, was truly there to support his friend. And after spending nearly 20 years behind bars, 10 of those spent in solitary confinement, Echols is truly lucky to have a little Jack Sparrow, Edward Scissorhands and Willie Wonka in his corner.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great story. I'll buy the book from Mike! Love a story about DNA helping exonerate another innocent person!

Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 in Scholarships

    Valley Community Foundation Awards $170,000 from Scholarship Funds to Support Educational Pursuits of Local Students   DERBY, CT (Octobe...